The Helium 10 Best Sellers Rank (BSR) is a sales-related score based on how products compare within a category. Under this metric, products with a lower BSR have made more sales than those with a higher score.
That said, you can find the BSR on the Amazon product listing page by scrolling to the product information section. Alternatively, you can find a product’s BSR with the X-Ray tool, which is part of the Helium 10 Chrome Extension.
- BSR can be part of an overall strategy to find excellent product-selling opportunities.
- Products can have more than one BSR number – one for each product category.
- Use Helium 10’s product research tools (Black Box and X-Ray) to find opportunities by filtering/sorting by BSR.
How Is the BSR in Helium 10 Calculated?
The Best Seller Rank tells you where a product ranks compared to others in a specific Amazon product category. It’s calculated hourly based on the number of sales of top products in each category while accounting for historical sales.
Furthermore, the score does not use factors like customer reviews since it’s only based on sales. Thus, the BSR is a handy way of determining the top-selling products in a particular category. Also, it allows you to discover how your products compare while climbing the ranks.
Note that a lower BSR indicates a higher amount of sales. Thus, the best-performing product in a niche is represented by a BSR of 1.
How to Use Helium 10 Tools With BSR?
You can combine BSR with Helium 10 tools to filter and search for products.
For example, if your search criterion is to find products with a BSR of under 100, you can do that with Xray and Black Box, two of the most powerful research tools on Helium 10.
How to Find Products Based on BSR With Xray?
Xray is offered as part of the Helium 10 Chrome extension. If you haven’t already, here’s a guide on downloading the Chrome Extension and installation tips.
Once you’ve done so, follow the steps below:
- Search for a product: Search for a product you want to sell on Amazon. To illustrate how BSR with X-ray works, I’ve searched for ‘yoga mats.”
- Load Xray: On the product search results page, click on the Helium 10 Chrome Extension and select “X-Ray – Amazon Product Research.”
- Sort by BSR: Clicking the “BSR” column to sort products based on the Best Sellers Rank.
This way, you can quickly find the fastest-selling products in any niche.
How to Find Products Based on BSR With Black Box?
Black Box allows you to search from a massive Amazon product library using various filters, including BSR. Here’s a stepwise guide to maximize this application:
- Load Black Box: Look for the Black Box tool in your Helium 10 dashboard and launch it.
- Bring up Advanced filters: Toggle to “Advanced” to open up the full suite of filter options. Next, filter products by entering the minimum and maximum BSR you seek.
For example, you may want to enter a minimum BSR of 100 to avoid searching for the most competitive products in a niche.
What Role Does BSR Play When Choosing Amazon Product Opportunities?
BSR helps filter products to help find the right opportunities based on a specific strategy.
For example, you can use the BSR to uncover the best-selling products in a niche to go after opportunities with the highest revenue potential. However, this strategy requires you to compete against established sellers that likely have thousands of positive reviews for their product listings.
Likewise, you can search for products with a high BSR to eliminate the most competitive opportunities. It’s a good strategy for beginners who don’t have the experience to compete against established sellers.
Finally, BSR can be part of an overall strategy rather than a standalone metric.
Understanding how BSR works helps you fine-tune the product research process to find the best product-selling opportunities.
Where Can You Find BSR on Amazon Product Listings?
You can check the product BSR numbers while browsing Amazon with X-ray.
To do so:
- Ensure X-ray is turned on in the Helium 10 Google Chrome extension bar.
- Look for a product using the Amazon Search bar.
- You should get product search results with the X-ray overlay showing BSR numbers.
Note that products can have more than one BSR. This shows that the product was listed in multiple Amazon categories and performs differently in those sections.
- Optional: Click the graph icon alongside the BSR number to see the historical BSR numbers for a product across a 24-hour, 7-day, 30-day, 90-day, 1-year, or all-time period.
Furthermore, you can view BSR individually without using X-ray by opening up a product listing and scrolling down to the Product Information section, as you can see below:
This takes more time when trying to evaluate the BSR of many products.
What Is the Difference Between BSR and Organic Rank?
Amazon sellers sometimes confuse BSR with organic rank, yet the two values differ.
|Significance||Product rank per category||Product rank per keyword|
|Impacted by sales?||Yes, largely||No, nominal|
However, optimizing for both to enjoy higher sales (leading to a lower BSR) and improved visibility (via better organic ranking) is best.
How Can You Improve Your BSR?
While a successful Amazon business does not require good BSR numbers, improving this metric shows you’re beating other products in the same category.
To do so, it’s essential to understand that a BSR of 1-10,000 is a good ballpark figure of where you want your products to be found. This will vary significantly based on the product category since some have more products than others.
Afterward, you need to increase the number of sales. You can do so by improving product quality, adding better images, running a discount sale, or increasing your PPC budget, among other things.
The goal is to sell more than the competition since that’s how BSR works.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Helium 10 tools that use BSR include Black Box and X-Ray. These product research tools allow you to search for products with BSR filters while browsing Amazon (Xray) or from the Helium 10 dashboard (Black Box).
No, improving your BSR won’t lead to more sales, as BSR doesn’t impact sales.
Instead, more sales will lead to a lower BSR, as sales directly affect the metric.
You can check your BSR by navigating to your product listing page and scrolling down to the “Product Information” section. You can also hold down CTRL + F on the product listing to search for “Best Sellers Rank.”
Furthermore, you can use the Helium 10 Chrome Extension X-ray tool to find your BSR, which is more convenient.
The BSR scores for the top 10,000 products in each Amazon category are updated roughly every hour, followed by products in the top 100,000 updated daily. However, products with a BSR of about 100,000 or more are only updated monthly.
here are several reasons for the “BSR is undefined” error in Helium 10:
- The product may not have sold enough to generate a BSR, as Amazon calculates BSR based on units sold in a time period.
- The product might be in a new category or subcategory that Amazon hasn’t started tracking yet.
- There could be an issue with the Helium 10 tool. Restarting the computer and reloading the Helium 10 extension might help.
- It’s essential to ensure that:
- You are logged into Amazon Seller Central to see BSR data for your products.
- The product in question is listed in the Amazon marketplace.
- You’re checking the BSR in the correct product category.
If the error persists, users can contact Helium 10 support for assistance.
Leverage BSR in Helium 10 Effectively
For existing sellers, a lower BSR is better, and it can be improved by increasing the sales volume. Furthermore, you can use Helium 10 tools like Black Box and X-Ray to filter products by BSR as part of an overall strategy.
Similarly, due to the sheer competition, new sellers can use BSRs to determine what products, niches, categories, and other metrics to avoid.
Armed with that information, check out these Helium 10 discounts to test it risk-free for 7 days and save up to 20% while at it.