Product research is all about choosing the right product, one with demand and one that isn’t in an oversaturated market. But doing it all by hand can take hours you don’t have!
Luckily, that’s where Helium 10 comes in.
Helium 10 is designed to help sellers with various aspects of Amazon selling, especially product research. So, their tools help you hone in on exactly what you need to make the best business decision.
We’ll go over specific Helium 10 research product tools and how to utilize them to conduct in-depth research to get the desired results you want.
Helium 10’s Product Research Tools
There are three main tools that Helium 10 has to help you find profitable products on Amazon:
- Black Box
To illustrate how to use the above tools properly, we will use the following criteria as our example to walk you through this process:
- Less than 75 reviews
- More than $1,000 in monthly revenue
- Products with plenty of keywords with high/low demand and low competition
- Price is less than $75
- More than 500 searches a month
- Less than 250 competing products
So, without further adieu, let’s get into it!
Black Box is all about utilizing filters that scour Amazon’s marketplace to find precisely what you’re looking for. With these product searches, you can be as vague or as detailed as you want.
Black Box will be the tool you use most when conducting research, meaning it encompasses almost everything you need, data-wise.
- On your Helium 10 dashboard, go to Tools > Product Research > Black Box
- Click on the Keywords tab.
- Searching by keywords instead of products displays all the keywords and phrases that can potentially become profitable.
- Input the minimum and maximum revenue amounts of reviews, and select all categories. Your screen should look like this:
- Once Black Box finishes processing your filters, scroll down; you’ll see all the results with a plethora of information that you can further filter and sort to your specifications. Here are some of the results we gathered without filters:
- Now, let’s further narrow down our search based on our criteria by sorting the data by search volume– high to low. Here is what we get:
Based on these results, we want to investigate “judy blue jeans for women further” as it has the potential to recent a decent size audience, less than 200 competitors, and meets the rest of our criteria.
- Click on the three dots on the far right of the product you want to analyze further.
- Select View on Amazon.
- A new tab will open with your desired product as the search result. From here, you can browse through the products to get a sense of what the market consists of.
While Xray displays similar data to that of Black Box, it does dig deeper in terms of reviews and keywords, especially with competitors. With Xray, you can directly compare the competitors in your niche market, which provides you a leg up in determining your product.
Xray is part of the Helium 10 Chrome extension, so before you can use Xray, you’ll need to download it to your browser.
- Have the search results page open on Amazon that you want to gather more information on. We’ll continue with our “judy blue jeans for women” example.
- Open the Helium 10 Chrome extension on your browser.
- Click on Xray – Amazon Product Research.
- Once your Xray window is up, there is one specific section we will look at– the upper right box of the window.
This box will tell us three things:
- Related keywords along with their demand and competition
- The maximum revenue the top 10 products make a month
- How many of the top 10 products have less than our max number of reviews
If you hover over the two circles, you’ll get your information on the monthly revenue and reviews.
- To view the keyword demand and competition, click on Related Keywords.
- You’ll then see a list of all the keywords related to your product and each word or phrase’s demand and competition. Remember, ideally, we want high demand and low competition.
This information here will give you an idea if this niche is worth investing in, and in our case, Judy blue jeans for women are not worth it. So, we’ll start the search over again from Black Box.
And this is okay! It might take some time to weed out the perfect, profitable product for you.
But say you found your product. Let’s uncover the trends of the product and get an idea of what we can expect to happen once we enter the market.
Another essential factor to consider when conducting product research is seasonality and future product sales. To determine this information, Trendster pulls a product’s historical data to predict how it will act in the future.
With Trendster, you can create a game plan for a product should you enter the market, which is vital for your Amazon business’s success.
- On your Helium 10 dashboard, go to Tools > Product Research > Trendster
- Input the top four product ASINs you want to investigate, along with up to four keywords or phrases.
- For our new example, we will be using “rhinestone fanny pack” as we found this to fit our above criteria.
You can pull keywords or phrases from the Related Keywords section in Xray when you dig further into your product.
- Each ASIN will appear with a trend graph. Hover over the graph to get precise data, such as price and sales ranking. You can also filter the graphs by the periods listed across the top. Here’s an example of one of our ASINs:
- On the right is an interest trend chart showing your consumer’s interest in your product over various periods.
These trend charts provide insight into what you can expect if you enter the market yourself by analyzing your competitors and keywords.
And that’s it. Your product research ends with Trendster because you’re ready to start sourcing suppliers and setting up your products after this.
Don’t Forget to Read: Helium 10 Coupons & Discounts
Can I Use Helium 10 Tools to Conduct Product Research on Pinterest?
Interestingly enough, you can! As the data shows, sometimes Pinterest trends predict what will be popular on Amazon.
- Log into your Helium 10 account.
- On your dashboard, you’ll see a box that says Research a Keyword
- Under the search bar, you’ll see What’s Trending on Pinterest?
- Select Click to find trending keywords
- The wheel will then show you an example of what is currently trending. A new trend will pop up when you click the white box.
Can I Conduct Product Research in International Markets?
Absolutely! There is an option in Black Box and Trendster that allows you to switch between international marketplaces.
But keep in mind Xray does not have this option.
How Long Should I Research a New Product?
It’s really up to you and your method of selecting a product. Some people only look at numbers, while others also like to purchase the item first.
Regardless, this process can take weeks or months to complete. But there is no set amount of time you should adhere to when conducting product research.
There you have it! Black Box, Xray, and Trendster are the foundations for your product research. Product research can be daunting, but with Helium 10, your search is more manageable.
Using these tools alone, you can compare competitors, determine in-demand keywords, and analyze seasonality. Start using Helium 10 for FREE, today!